Looking to start or advance your career in Medical Office Management? Earning a certification can be a huge bargaining chip when trying to snag a dream job or advance into a supervisory role with your current employer. In either case, you’ll want to weigh factors like the investment of time and money to know if a certification is right for you.
What is a Medical Office Management Certification?
The goal of a certification is to validate core competencies in a specific skill set or career focus. For medical office management, this means mastering the administrative skills that lead to improved communication with providers, third-party payers, patients, and business associates. Graduates will be better prepared to manage risk, motivate employees and improve the financial outlook in a medical office.
5 Key Benefits to Earning a Certification
- The future looks bright – The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts a projected growth for medical and health services managers to increase by 18 percent from 2018 to 2028*. The reason is twofold. First, as the large population of Baby Boomers age the need for qualified medical and health services managers is growing at a much faster pace than the average for all other occupations. Second, people are remaining much more active as they age. That’s great news for the 16 million medical professionals that currently work in both clinical and non-clinical jobs in our country. In fact, the healthcare industry in the U.S. is one of our largest economic sectors and employs one in eight Americans.
- Builds Your Resume – A certification is like a badge of honor – a proud accomplishment! After all, a certification not only affirms your passion for your career, earning one can send your resume to the top of the pile. To ensure your name is on the short-list follow these tips.
- Shows Commitment to Improve – If you wonder what employers look for in a new hire, most often it’s their willingness to learn. You don’t have to go into an interview knowing it all. Earning a certification validates to any employer, including your current one, a commitment to lifelong learning, exceptional professionalism, and the ability to uphold industry standards.
- Helps Build Skills and Knowledge Specific to the Healthcare Industry – Additional advantages to earning a certification is that you will gain credibility, acquire new skills, and learn how to effectively apply updated industry information to improve processes. Successfully earning a certification proves you know what you’re doing. And gives you the confidence, assurance and additional skill set you need to improve and move your organization to the next level.
- Can Increase Your Income and Opportunities for Advancement – Better compensation and opportunities for advancement are primary reasons people earn certifications in their chosen fields. According to an article published by Forbes, regardless of the type of certificate you earn, most people see a boost in their annual salary in the range of 13 to 25 percent!
Take the Next Big Step in Your Career
Get recognized as expert in your field and put your career on the fast-track with our convenient online Certified Medical Office Manager (CMOM) program administered by Practice Management Institute. This five-part program teaches a wide range of practical administrative skills needed to help you better communicate with providers, third-party payers, patients, and business associates. It prepares both prospective office managers and seasoned veterans with guidelines and examples to improve decision-making and tactical skills. Graduates will be better prepared to manage HIPAA compliance, cybersecurity, motivate employees, and improve the financial outlook in a medical office in 2020 and beyond.